When you plan a body contouring transformation at our cosmetic surgery practice in Ann Arbor, you know your body will need some time to recover after surgery. But did you know your mind may need some time to recuperate, too? The emotional recovery roller coaster is a real thing, and it’s much easier to navigate when you know what to expect.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss emotional recovery after a body contouring procedure and include a few tips for preparing mentally for a restful and rewarding recuperation.
The Emotional Recovery Process After Plastic Surgery
Some feelings you may experience after a tummy tuck or liposuction include:
- Fatigue: Both your body and mind need extra rest during the first few days of recovery. Focus on taking it easy and getting 8 hours of sleep a night.
- Uncertainty: It’s normal to question whether you have made the right choice, especially during the first week or 2 when swelling is at its peak.
- Restlessness: Once you feel back to normal, you may be eager to jump back into exercise and other activities. Give your body the time it needs to heal fully. It’ll be worth it in the long run.
- Confidence: You get to enjoy your life with a newfound love for the way you look and feel. Of all the phases of emotional recovery, this is the one that sticks around for good.
Remember, these feelings are normal and temporary. The whole recovery process lasts just a few weeks, but the rewards last for years to come.
How to Prepare Emotionally for Body Contouring Surgery
Take on recovery with the right mindset by following these tips:
- Lean on support: Let a close friend or family member in on your journey so they can be there for you physically and emotionally. A trusted loved one can help with childcare, pet care, and rides, and they can simply be there for you to talk to when you need encouragement.
- Keep your eyes on the prize: Before surgery, journal about how excited you are to make your dream look a reality. Read it back during moments of uncertainty to remember why you started this journey and how great it will feel to step out with your new look.
- Consider nonsurgical options if you’re not ready: While your transformation may not be as dramatic, you can still enjoy body contouring results without surgery. CoolSculpting® is an excellent option for those who want to slim down certain spots but don’t think surgery is right for them.
- Choose a surgical team you trust: Put your mind at ease by choosing a surgeon who listens to you, understands you, and is known for providing support after surgery.
What awaits you on the other side of recovery? See examples of the results you can expect after a tummy tuck by visiting our before-and-after photo gallery.
If you would like to learn more about the recovery process from one of our plastic surgeons in Ann Arbor, MI, please contact us online or call (734) 712-2323.